Official UNITED KINGDOM TM website
Research at a glance
The scientific research on Transcendental Meditation is the largest and strongest body of research in the world on any programme to develop human potential. With more than 600 scientific studies conducted at 250 independent universities and institutions in 33 countries. Published in over 100 of the world's leading scientific journals and proving benefits in every aspect of life.
Benefits to many areas of life
Researchers have concluded that Transcendental Meditation enlivens the body's inner intelligence, supporting its innate ability to heal itself. Here is a sample of the broad range of benefits confirmed by research and published in the world's leading peer-reviewed medical and academic journals.
Official recognition and support
The National Institutes of Health in the USA have to date granted over $24 million to study the effect of Transcendental Meditation for the prevention and treatment of heart disease, hypertension, and stroke.
This research has so far reported:
- Reduced risk factors for hypertension, diabetes, and obesity (American Medical Association's Archives of Internal Medicine)
- Increased lifespan (American Journal of Cardiology)
- Reduced thickening of coronary arteries (American Heart Association's Stroke)
- Reduced blood pressure in comparison with other procedures (Ethnicity & Disease)
- Reduced heart failure (Ethnicity & Disease)
- Reduced use of hypertensive medication (American Journal of Hypertension)
- Improved brain response to stress and pain (NeuroReport)